Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First Days

I'm sitting in a very quiet house. Less than an hour ago the boys hoisted their backpacks, smiled for the required photo, and loaded into Tim's car. A new school year has begun. Tim has already made his obligatory "all is well" call to me; the boys are busy unpacking and organizing their new school supplies; and I'm taking a trip down Nostalgia Lane. Indulge me, please...

Here's Reed on his first day of preschool: two years old, so little, but ready to go!

This is one of my all-time favorite pictures of the boys. It captures their relationship so perfectly. This was on the same day, as big brother Seth ushers Reed into preschool.

Just a few days later, here's Seth on his way to his first day of Kindergarten (2004-2005 school year). Notice that Nelson is going along for the ride. (Though Nelson didn't make the trip to CAK today, he still maintains his place of honor in Seth's bed each night.)

Here the boys are on the first day of the 2007-2008 school year. Reed is starting Kindergarten; Seth is starting third grade. I find that hard to believe, because Seth looks so different from this year to the next, but that's what my dates tell me to be true (I don't trust my memory!).

The first day at CAK: 2008-2009 school year. Reed is starting first grade; Seth is starting fourth. Obviously uniforms are now part of our school experience, but thankfully we've had no complaints from the boys. (And I personally love it - so easy!)

This morning: the start of the 2009-2010 school year. Reed is starting second grade; Seth is starting fifth (his last year in elementary school - impossible!!!). Even after struggling to fall asleep last night, they woke with good attitudes. We have a race each morning to see who can get ready first: Tim or the boys. Last year, we (I am part of the boys' team, of course) were undefeated. I am declaring that this winning record will continue throughout this school year too.

In our house, Dad is the one most excited about starting a new school year. We are blessed to have Tim, who wakes us each morning with cheerful enthusiasm. If it were left to me, I'm not so sure the boys would experience such a fun entry into their day.

One part of his morning routine is the belting out of various songs with gusto. We've requested a new repertoire this year, but he seems to be having difficulty coming up with songs that meet his requirements: upbeat (loud), cheerful (loud), motivating (loud)... If you have any suggestions, please send them our way. I don't think the boys and I can take another school year of his present selections. Thanks!

No comments: