Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Sight to Behold

What can I write about the Haitian orphans I encountered this week? I was astonished by them: their affection, joy, patience, and contentment. My heart was warmed by their tenderness and broken by their need. I was blown away by their radiant smiles, their stunning faces, and their bright eyes. Though we spoke different languages, these eyes told me a story that I will never forget ...

The eyes have one language everywhere.
~ George Herbert

The eyes see only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.
~ Henri Bergson

When I first open my eyes upon the morning meadows and look out upon the beautiful world, I thank God I am alive.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

My eyes make pictures, when they are shut.
~ Samuel Taylor Coleridge

The eyes are the mirror of the soul ~ Yiddish Proverb

There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million.
~ Walt Streightiff

The eyes indicate the antiquity of the soul.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

No eyes that have seen beauty ever lose their sight.
~ Jean Toomey

I have looked into your eyes with my eyes.
I have put my heart near your heart.
~ Pope John Paul XXIII

No comments: