Did you know? ...
- This Caribbean island which is slightly smaller than Maryland (pop. 5.6 million) has a population of just over 9 million.
- Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, with 80% of the population living under the poverty line and 54% in abject poverty.
- The life expectancy of Haitians is 60 years old.
- Roughly half of the population practices voodoo.
- The percentage of Haitians over age 15 that can read and write is 52.9%.
- A 2003 report estimated 1.2 million orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) in the country.
I look forward to writing about my time in Haiti and sharing photos on the blog when I return. Please pray for our team while we travel May 25-30 (Ellen, Adam, Darren, Donnie, Mia, John, Katie, and myself), our time the Haitian people, especially the children, and our own families while we are away. Thank you!