Monday, May 11, 2009

Celebrating Seth

Your 10th birthday is an important milestone as you finally reach "double digits," so we've been celebrating Seth's since last Friday when he had his first sleepover. Five of his classmates spent the night, and I discovered that it's not so easy to sleep when you have children still awake in the house - not because they were loud, but it just seems against the natural order of things.

For 10 years, my boys have been tucked in and sleeping soundly before I've nodded off. This sleepover was just a taste of what's to come, and I realized that this change is going to take some getting used to. In fact, I know it's only one of many changes to come in the approaching years. Sleepovers, summer camp, driving, dating, ... Oh, talk about sleepless nights!

Well, there have been many long nights in the past 10 years too. Tummy aches, leg cramps, bad dreams, worry warts, ... Times when only a snuggle, song, story, or back scratch would do. We've made it through those nights, and I know we'll make it through those that are to come too.

So, blearly eyed and still yawning from the late night (or early morning - they finally fell asleep at 3 a.m.), I think about Seth and smile. I love his spirit and his heart. I marvel that he is already 10 years old. And I cherish the blessing of mothering him ... through happy days, hard times, big questions, broken hearts, school years, and sleepless nights!

1 comment:

The Coker family said...

With a young adult as handsome and charming as Seth, I suspect many sleepless nights are ahead of you. With a Mom who recognizes those sleepless nights as a part of the blessing that mothering is, and a Dad willing to wear a wig for the sake of fathering, I'm also guessing that he will continue maturing into one amazing young man.