Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Jumpin' July '09

As July comes to a close, I realize that our blog has looked more like a scrapbook this month. Lots of pictures! In thinking about the busyness of the past four weeks, I recalled that last summer I posted a blog entry titled "Jumpin' July." It seems an applicable title to recycle.

We have had a busy month, with trips to visit the grandparents, weekend getaways, playdates, sleepovers, cookouts, and campouts. But we've also enjoyed many lazy days at home - sleeping in, hanging out, and lounging in our pjs. The boys are a delight, as they continue playing well together and enjoy each other's company.

In three weeks, they will start a new school year, and we will adjust to a new routine. We'll schedule our days and check items off our "to do" list. But until then, we'll cherish these leisurely summer days where we have the spacious choice to stay or to go, to play or to rest, and to stay up late and to sleep in.

In keeping with the photo-friendly feel of my July posts, here are a few more pictures of the fun we've had this month. Enjoy!

At the beginning of the month, my friend Jenn and I took the kids to my parents' house in LaFollette for a few days. They had a great time riding scooters, shooting BB guns, climbing trees, playing with the dollhouse, and walking the dogs of a family friend. Jenn and I enjoyed eating (I'm just being honest) meals homecooked by my mom. Jenn tried okra for the first time and liked it. If you're not sure about okra, you should try my mom's. You'd like it too!

Toward the end of the month, the boys spent a few days with Tim's mom, Ann. This is an annual getaway for them, which they love. This year they went to Ruby Falls and Rock City, the Warner Park Zoo, and the Tennessee Aquarium. Of course, they spent a few hours at Chuck E. Cheese as well.

Finally, one of the highlights of our month was Worship/Serve. On Sunday, July 19, our church closed the doors to the building and instead served throughout the community. People led worship and served meals at the Knox Area Rescue Ministries; visited with the residents of several retirement homes; did landscaping at local parks and schools; and participated in many other projects.

Our family spent our time at Hope Resource Center, a vital crisis pregnancy center that serves Knoxville, Lenoir City, and several surrounding counties. We cleaned the inside of the building, hung blinds, changed lightbulbs, and landscaped along with 20 others from Providence Church. One of the greatest delights of the experience was working alongside Seth and Reed.

Now, as July comes to a close, I find myself packing for our annual beach getaway with my parents and my sister and brother-in-law. We leave on August 1, so this means that we'll start our month with a little R&R and family fun. It also means I'll start a new blogging month with more pictures! See you then.

No comments: