Saturday, February 25, 2012

Holy Moments

When we walk through life with a mindfulness that God is present, active, and loving, then we come to realize that holy moments lurk in the most mundane moments, trivial talk, and simple gestures. A word, a touch, or a glance can deliver a glimpse of the Father and His love that steals our breath.

Mothering has taught me how true this is. Now, let's be honest...there are some "mothering" moments that seem less-than-holy. Sleepless nights, endless dirty diapers, and temper tantrums to name a few. However, it seems throughout their lives my boys have been gifting me with treasures from God at the most surprising times and in the most unique ways.

One of the favorite ways He gifts me is with stolen glances of my boys showing tenderness to each other - snuggled together on one cushion of our three-cushion couch, lying side-by-side in bed with their noses buried in books, the older one encouraging the younger one as he learns to play a new game. When normal life can include the usual brotherly taunts and teases, glimpses of two brothers who share a depth of friendship I have always prayed for blesses me beyond words.

And I could miss it...if I wasn't paying attention. Not just miss the blessing of their relationship, but the gift it is to my heart by a Father who knows me and loves me so well.

Living with eyes open to God's movements requires more than just my mental attention. It requires an expectant and open heart that is pursuing God above all else. Perhaps the model for living in this state is Brother Lawrence, author of the classic book, The Practice of the Presence of God.

He writes,
There is not in the world a kind of life more sweet and delightful than that of a continual communion with God. Only those who practice and experience it can comprehend it. Yet I do not advise you to do it for that motive. It is not pleasure that we should seek in this exercise - we should do it from a principle of love, and because God would have us do it. If I were a preacher, I would above all other things preach the practice of the presence of God...Ah! if we but knew the lack we have of the grace and assistance of God, we would never lose sight of Him - not for a moment.
I am awestruck by the fact that I can draw near to God, that I can know Him more fully, and that I can commune with Him. And I am grieved by how easily I neglect to enter into His presence and abide. As I walk in this mindfulness during Lent, my heart echoes Brother Lawrence's words as my prayer - to "never lose sight of Him - not for a moment."

1 comment:

Kate Kehne said...

So true and so beautifully said. Thank you Susan!