Friday, December 8, 2017

Final Down Under Days

We woke to a rainy forecast on Wednesday, which was unwelcome since we planned to visit Bondi Beach. However, as we sat eating breakfast at White Carrots (a cafe in our neighborhood), we noticed that the skies were blue. We decided to go for it! 

We took the bus to Bondi Beach, found some beach towels and sunscreen at a beachside shop, and crossed the street to the popular beach. I’ve never seen waves so tall - at least six feet! 

The water was a stunning blue and the surf dotted with surfers. Camryn and I got into the water, but my stay was short because of the very strong undertow. Eventually lifeguards drove up the beach urging folks to get out of the water.   

After getting a bit of a sunburn, we ate lunch at an Italian sidewalk cafe. While eating the rain finally arrived. Thankfully the tables were covered with a plastic canopy so our meal wasn’t ruined. 

We ended our time at Bondi by visiting the Iceberg Pools, set as close to oceanside as they can get. Children from the area were having swim lessons and swim team practice there - wow, what a place to regularly swim!

On Thursday, our last day together in Sydney, we decided to enjoy a relaxed day shopping for Christmas gifts and souvenirs. After another amazing breakfast at yet another neighborhood cafe (the Rusty Rabbit, our favorite), we went by train to the Queen Victoria Building, a stunning historical building that has been converted into shops and dining. Though a lot of shops were above our price point, we enjoyed looking. It also had wonderful toy shops!

We found a ramen noodle restaurant for a pick-me-up midday before a bit more shopping. Then we headed to Circular Quay to meet our friends from Ransomed Heart for dinner. We ate at a delicious but very noisy German restaurant before walking to the opera house. At night they have a seven minute light projection onto the side of the iconic landmark. 

After some gelato and a train ride home, I somehow managed to pack all of my things - including my purchases - into the same bags I brought over!


This morning, after a final breakfast at the Rusty Rabbit, Leslie and Camryn helped me navigate the train to the international airport station. So convenient, and with Camryn’s help with my luggage, so easy! I had no trouble with security, and am now 10 hours into my 12-1/2 hour flight to LA. From there, I’ll have another flight to DC, where I’ll crash for the night at the Lindsay’s. Then, one Megabus ride and I’ll finally be home with my guys. Cannot wait!!!

1 comment:

Rajendra said...

Thanks for sharing such great post.I really thank you sharing this article:

Bondi souvenir